Wednesday, 13 May 2020

Bury Way Plant Survey


I had hoped at this point to be able to tell you that the first stage in reviving the two Bury Way areas, the planting of the Yellow Rattle plug plants, was complete. Unfortunately, the plug plants failed, possibly because the winter temperatures never fell sufficiently to stimulate germination.

Mollie Paxford, of Paxford Ecology, has today, Wednesday, 13 May 2020, carried out a survey of the existing plant life on the two Bury Way regeneration areas. Many thanks to Mollie, who hasn’t charged for her time and expertise. It’s interesting that what she has found does not present a picture of rich biodiversity. However, that’s not a bad starting point, if our aim is regeneration as well as conservation.

Thank you, Mollie. Here’s her brief report and spreadsheet.

I had an initial look today at the two areas.  I have called the one on the junction with the Barton Road "north area" and the one next to the park "south area".
There wasn't a huge amount of interest I have to say, but the Bush Vetch, Red Campion and Yarrow are a good start.  I didn't record the grasses at this stage, but I can do when they flower if you'd like but I suspect it will be very average!  I will go again in a few weeks to see what else has popped up. 

Bury Way Botanical Survey 13/05/2020


Plant Species
Common Name
North area
South area
ACFOR scale
Bellis perennis
Daisy
C
C
A
Abundant
Ranunculus repens
Creeping Buttercup
C
F
C
Common
Taraxacum Section vulgaria
Dandelion
F
O
F
Frequent
Rumex obtusifolius
Broadleaved Dock
F
F
O
Occasional
Glechoma hederacea
Ground Ivy
O
F
R
Rare
Ficaria verna
Lesser Celandine
O
O
Vicia sepium
Bush Vetch
R
n/a
Plantago lanceolata
Ribwort Plantain
F
F
Plantago major
Greater Plantain
O
O
Trifolium repens
White Clover
O
O
Trifolium pratense
Red Clover
F
O
Heracleum sphondylium
Hogweed
F
O
Anthriscus sylvestris
Cow Parsley
F
F
Cirsium arvense
Creeping Thistle
F
O
Silene dioica
Red Campion
O
n/a
Lamium album
White Dead-nettle
O
n/a
Urtica dioica
Common Nettle
O
O
Chamerion angustifolium
Rosebay Willowherb
n/a
F
Achillea millefolium
Yarrow
n/a
F
Galium aparine
Common Cleavers
n/a
F
Geranium pratense
Meadow Cranesbill
n/a
O
Potentilla retans
Creeping Cinquefoil
n/a
F
Filipendula ulmaria
Meadowsweet
n/a
R


No comments:

Post a Comment